Code of conduct
TTD requests all visitors to preserve the sanctity of the Tirumala area.
Suggestions in the form of ‘Dos and Don’ts’ are displayed at various places in Tirupati and Tirumala. You are requested to get acquainted with them before you visit Tirumala.
A summary of these suggestions:
• Do Obeisance to your Ishta Daivam or Kula Daivam before you start for Tirumala..
• Do book your travel and accommodation at Tirumala well in advance.
• Do bathe in the Pushkarini and worship Varaha Swami in His Temple before you go to worship Lord Venkateshwara.
• Do bathe and wear clean clothes before you enter the shrine.
• Do concentrate on Lord Venkateshwara inside the Temple.
• Do observe absolute silence and chant “Ohm Sri Venkateshaya Namah”, inside the Temple.
• Do bathe in the Papavinasanam and AkashGanga Tirthams near Tirumala.
• Do respect ancient customs and usages while at Tirumala.
• Do respect and promote religious sentiments among co-pilgrims.
• Do deposit your offerings in the Hundi Only.
• Do wear a tilak in accordance with your religious affiliation.
• Do follow the procedures of the temple and wait for your turn for the darshan of the Lord
• Do pradakshinam (keeping the shrine to your right) with devotion before entering the temple.
• Don’t come to Tirumala for any purpose other than worshipping the Lord.
• Don’t carry much Jewellery and Cash with you.
• Don’t wear footwear in and around the premises of the Temple.
• Don’t approach touts for accommodation and darshan.
• Don’t approach touts for quick darshan .
• Don’t prostrate ( sastanga danda pranamam ) inside the temple.
• Don’t throw away the prasadam and teertham given to you at the temple.
• Don’t enter the shrine naked or wearing only a loin-cloth.
• Don’t carry any weapon inside the temple.
• Don’t eat non-vegetarian food.
• Don’t consume liquor or other intoxicants.
• Don’t smoke on Tirumala Hills.
• Don’t wear any head guards like helmets, caps, turbans and hats inside the temple premises.
• Don’t buy spurious prasadams from street vendors.
• Don’t commit any act of violence or harshness in the temple premises.
• Don’t quarrel in the temple premises.
• Don’t rush in for Darshan but take your chance in the queue.
• Don’t enter the Temple; if according to custom or usage, you are prohibited to enter.
• Don’t wear flowers at Tirumala all flowers are for the Lord only.
• Don’t encourage beggary.
• Don’t spit or be a nuisance inside the temple premises.