The history of the temple dates back to as far as 9th Century A.D, when Pallavas, the rulers of Kancheepuram, patronized this shrine. But it was not until the time of Vijayanagara dynasty in 15th Century AD that the temple got recognition, and the contributions started pouring in.
From 1843 AD, when the Empire started rising in India till 1933 AD, the administrative activities of the Tirumala temple were overseen by Mahants of the Hatiramji Mutt.
In 1933, the Madras government took over and handed the reins of administration to an autonomous body known as the Tirumala-Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD) Committee.
Again in 1951, the TTD was reconstituted with a board of trustees, while an Executive Officer operated as its administrative head.